Monday, April 28, 2008

The Dating Game

Signs of spring are everywhere - and most of them say "garage sale." That's right, Spring in Orchard Hill means that it's time to clean out those closets and sell all your old junk to your neighbors.

The Orchard Hill Community Church held its annual Spring Fling recently. The Youth Group hosts this craft fair/luncheon/worship event. While I was there, I overheard this interesting bit of conversation between Faith Fielding and Andrew Thomas.

Dropping any hint of subtlety Andrew asked “How is your date going?”

Faith narrowed her eyes at him. “Just fine. How’s yours?”

“How’s my what?”
“Your date. You know, Harmony.”

“Oh, yes. That’s going fine, too.”

“Now that we’ve established that, what will we have to talk about?”

Andrew leaned forward. “Joseph’s a nice guy, but don’t kid yourself that he’s ready to make a commitment.”

She gasped. “What makes you think I want one from him?”

“So this is just a fling?”

“It’s just a date. One date. I’m hardly going to start picking out china patterns. You’re worse than Kevin.”

“Kevin is upset about you seeing Joseph, isn’t he?”

“Andrew, this is none of your business,” she told him firmly.

None of his business. It seemed as if Faith was shutting him out all of a sudden, and he didn’t like it. Not one little bit. He stared at her, willing her to understand.
“You never used to say things like that to me. We used to share everything. What changed between us, Faith?”

“I think you’re mistaken.” Her voice was cold, and it shook a little. “We’ve never shared everything. You just didn’t notice before, and I don’t understand why you’ve suddenly started caring.”

“We didn’t share everything? I shared everything. What have you been keeping from me?”

“Why don’t you just go find your date, Andrew?”

Anger swelled in his chest, and he answered her in a mocking voice. “Go find your date, Andrew. Go home Andrew. Don’t you have work to do Andrew? You keep pushing me away.”

She stood. “Then maybe you should take the hint.” Faith walked away, moving through the crowd to leave him stranded at the cafĂ© table.

Hmmm. What could be going on there?

Until next time,
Cora Applebaum

No comments: